Purple Star 2012 Sauvignon Blanc & 2011 Syrah
Fellow wine lovers, I have big news! Monday I attended the ceremonies for the 2015 Washington State Wine Awards where Impulse Wine was named RETAILER OF THE YEAR. This is incredibly exciting, for this tiny one person business to take home such an award after only a year and 8 months, and I just want to take this opportunity to thank you all for your continued support. It’s great getting to know you as I deliver bottles to your door, and I hope you’re enjoying the wines as much as I am! You can view the Retailer of the Year certificate by clicking here.
Now back to our regularly scheduled wine…
Kyle and Amy Johnson are 10 year veterans of the wine industry, launching their own label of small boutique wines in 2008, called Purple Star. Feeling blessed that they and their there children are all endowed with good health, they decided to pay it forward by allocating 15% of proceeds from all Purple Star Wines toward benefiting the Uncompensated Care Ward at Seattle Children’s Hospital.
The goal of Purple Star is to make really approachable single varietal wines at outstanding values, many of them even sourced from single vineyards. When I saw how low their prices are, at first I was a little skeptical at just how good they could be, but I’m pleased to say that I was wrong, these wine are very good. You just don’t see too many well made boutique Washington Wines at this
Purple Star 2012 Sauvignon Blanc $10.99
The Purple Star Sauvignon Blanc is really impressive, an outstanding value, and a well made wine. It’s sourced from a single vineyard, Caliche Lake Vineyard in the Ancient Lakes region of Washington State. This is a very unique area, surrounded by the Cascade Foothills and the Columbia River to the west, and craggley shaped series of lakes to the north – hence the name Ancient Lakes. You can see these distinct land formations on google earth by clicking here. This unique convergence of geological conditions produces a region which is consistently cooler than most, making it one of the best places for growing white wine grapes. Some of the most beautiful Chardonnay, Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc from Washington State originate here, in Ancient Lakes region.
This Sauvignon Blanc shows nice ripe fruit notes of lemon, lime, starfruit and hints of yellow grapefruit with cucumber skins and honeydew rind. It’s also a touch tropical with a bit of guava and ripe pineapple. It’s crisp, very refreshing, with some slight richness and custard-like undertones coming from the 3 months aging on lees in stainless steel. It’s not grassy like many of the Sauvignon Blancs of France, and it doesn’t taste like green peppers, like the Sauvignon Blancs of New Zealand.
It looks like spring is coming early this year, so there is bound to be a sunny day to enjoy this wine soon.
Purple Star 2012 Sauvignon Blanc
Click here to order the Purple Star Sauvignon Blanc
Region: Ancient Lakes AVA, Washington State
Vineyard: Caliche Lake Vineyard
Grape: Sauvignon Blanc
Aging: 100% stainless steel, with lees stirring, for 3 months
Drinkability: Drink it this year
Alcohol: 13.2% by volume
Food Pairings: Halibut, Lemon Herb Chicken
Purple Star 2011 Syrah $16.99
Again, the Purple Star Syrah is surprisingly well made and complex for the price. It’s tasty and layered, and continues to open up over a few hours with even more flavor and smooth texture. It showcases lots of juicy blueberry and blackberry, with hints of smoke, black pepper, and dark chocolate. Deep down, there is a hint of black plum preserve spread over toasted dark rye.
The Syrah is sourced from some top vineyards – 71% Weinbau, 14% Red Heaven, 12% Olsen, 3% Emory – and fermented with 60% whole berries for more aromatics, the other 40% crushed. Then it’s aged for 17 months in 100% French Oak to soften it up and instill it with complexities.
It’s a great wine for everyday drinking, perfect for parties, and makes a great gift with it’s eye pleasing packaging.
Purple Star 2011 Syrah
Click here to order the Purple Star Syrah
Region: Columbia Valley AVA, Washington State
Vineyard: 71% Weinbau, 14% Red Heaven, 12% Olsen, 3% Emory
Grape: 100% Syrah
Aging: Aged for 17 months in 100% French Oak barrels, 3% New
Drinkability: Drink it through the next 18 months
Alcohol: 14.7% by volume
Food Pairings: Cured Meats, Grilled & Smoked Pork